Have you been on Facebook lately and noticed an attention-grabbing advertisement next to your newsfeed? This, ladies and gentlemen, would be display advertising. Lets just jump right into this as I explain what display advertising is. In a nutshell, it’s an online billboard that uses texts, photos, and video to catch a future consumer’s attention. I’m sure a few of you have heard rumors of how the click through rate is low for display advertising, so why waste the money? Let me squash all those rumors and give you five reasons as to why display advertising can help your business:
- Is your target market seeing your ads? Unlike billboards, display can be set up to cater to your specific target market. You have the option of segmenting by demographics and interests, having keywords related to your business, and geo-targeting. This is every company’s dream! To be able to target whom you want, when you want. Instead of having a thousand people driving past a billboard and only a small percent actually caring about your ad, you are able to focus on who is interested in your company/product.
- What are you paying? The cost of display advertising is fairly cheap, as low as $3.00 a day where as billboards, depending on location can be upwards of $1000 a month. Billboards in metro areas like Atlanta start at $2500 per billboard. So let’s just sit and do the math for a moment: number of months x the minimum number of billboards x the cost per billboard = $840,000 a year. That’s a large amount of money to advertise to the general public.
- Can billboards track your performance? The answer is no. The largest difference is real time data tracking. Each Display can have a specific UTM source parameter, which allows you to track and differentiate your ads. More importantly, this lets you monitor your ads impressions, click through rates, and conversions. So if you would like to make a change to your advertisement, it can be done almost immediately and then up and running again, something a billboard isn’t capable of.
- Do you have brand awareness? This is one of the quickest ways to raise your brand’s awareness. It’s a simple ad that your target market will view, and even though they may not immediately click; your company will be remembered.
- Are you remarketing? Remarketing is a great way to use a display ad. If you’re lucky, someone will come to your website and fill out a form or subscribe to your email list. Remarketing is an amazing way to keep retargeting and re-engaging past visitors. Remarketing can also show consumers a product they recently viewed on interest specific webpages, keeping your business on their mind.
Now, don’t cancel your advertising billboards just yet. They are still successful, but adding display advertising to your campaign is an ideal way to combine traditional and online advertising, reaching as many potential customers as possible.
Luckily, here at Stand and Stretch, we can help take your company to the next level, exceeding your advertising potential.